Engineer Project Associate (Switching Devices Segment)
Other companies make products. We make a difference!
Promoting safe living and working environments
UL is a global independent safety science company with more than a century of expertise innovating safety solutions from the public adoption of electricity to new breakthroughs in areas such as sustainability, renewable energy, mobile payment security and nanotechnology. Dedicated to promoting safe living and working environments, UL helps safeguard people, products and places in important ways, facilitates trade and provides peace of mind.
Under general supervision, independently manages execution and timely completion of basic engineering projects by analyzing project scope and determining project specifications, establishing test programs for product investigations, analyzing test programs for adequacy and sequence, examining samples for compliance with UL requirements, and preparing reports for clients. Assists in the development of UL requirements, test methods, and test equipment. Exercises Project Handler Signature Authority as Project Handler of record responsible for opening, maintenance, completion, and closing of assigned new work engineering projects. May exercise Review Signature Authority as assigned as Reviewer of record responsible for initial review, status review, and final technical review of all new work engineering projects.
In this role you will:
- Determine project scope, develop a preliminary plan of investigation and determine project specifications such as cost, time, and sample requirements by analyzing client input, available supplemental data, and product construction. Projects may include travel to conduct or witness tests at client sites
- Initiate communication with clients to promote and explain the benefits of new and existing services, follow up on contacts from clients, communicates with clients to discuss technical issues, explain UL procedures and requirements, convey project cost, and negotiate completion date and sample requirements, act to address client concerns and to resolve client issues, provide technical assistance to clients in reference to product inspection and follow-up services
- Establish appropriate test programs by reviewing files and manufacturer's information, examining samples, and applying UL requirements. Is familiar with applicable standards, company manuals and appropriate technical literature. Examines samples for compliance with UL requirements and notifies client of any areas in which the product is not in compliance or of any changes in project scope or specifications
- Coordinate laboratory activities by preparing data sheets and instructions to technicians, scheduling and reviewing work of laboratory technicians and engineering support staff, and establishing completion dates. Coordinates administrative aspects of project management. Serves as Project Handler of record and may sign as Reviewer of record as assigned
- Communicate project status and results to clients through frequent contact and by preparing reports Prepares Follow-Up Service Procedures and information pages
- Integrate continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job
- Resolve engineering issues associated with Variation Notices by analyzing and reporting on the acceptability of the variations
- Assist in the development of UL requirements. Assists in developing special test methods and test equipment. Analyzes test program for adequacy and sequence. May coordinate and/or perform File Reviews, as directed. May represent UL at industry related functions such as seminars and trade shows
- Perform other duties as directed
- University Degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Industrial Technology, Manufacturing Technology, or Physics from an ABET accredited program
- Preferably 2 years of directly related experience; Previous experience in working with Switching Devices Segment/Power Supplies is greatly valued;
- Detailed knowledge of the technical vocabulary common to the appropriate discipline
- Basic knowledge of laboratory testing apparatus and techniques common to the appropriate discipline
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English and German
- Willingness to travel: 10-25% of the time
What can we offer you?
Grow and Achieve. Growth and development are part of our DNA. Experience from your first day our robust structures, quick decision making paths and corporate culture that encourages achievement based on trust.
Be as international as it gets by working with colleagues across different cultures and also get inspired and supported from senior colleagues and leaders. Your growth will be supported with targeted development from UL University, rewards and recognition programs, so that you can maximize your potential.
Look at what we can do together!
You’ve learned about us – now we would like to learn more about you. Apply now on-line as we are eager to soon be able to welcome you in the TEAM!
A competitive commensurate package of benefits, including flexible and mobile 38.5 working hours a week, 30 days of annual holidays, or company pension scheme, just to mention some of them…